Numeracy plays a pivotal role in many aspects of our daily lives. At St Francis Xavier School the curriculum focuses on developing mathematical understanding, fluency, logical reasoning, analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Mathematics learning and teaching involves developing skills in the following areas:
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
The Mathematics curriculum aims to ensure that students:
- develop useful mathematical and numeracy skills for everyday life, work and as active and critical citizens in a technological world
- see connections and apply mathematical concepts, skills and processes to pose and solve problems in mathematics and in other disciplines and contexts
- acquire specialist knowledge and skills in mathematics that provide for further study in the discipline
- appreciate Mathematics as a discipline – its history, ideas, problems and applications, aesthetics and philosophy.
(from Victorian Curriculum - Mathematics, https://victoriancurriculum.vcaa.vic.edu.au/mathematics/introduction/rationale-and-aims. Accessed: 5/8/2019)